Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Top Five Peterson Events of 2013
I can most definitely say that I am not the same person I was one year ago. The same can be said of our family, which has seen more change than I can remember in quite a while. Unlike 2012 where most of the changes were depressing, sad, and no fun; 2013 has given us many good changes and 2014 looks to be no different. Here's what happened to us that was so big this past year.
1. Scott returned to the classroom to teach Spanish.
This was so huge for him and our family. After losing his position at the Meadows last year, Scott wondered if he would ever teach again....and wasn't sure he even wanted to. He took a position as a manager at a Asian food-production plant and to be quite honest, he was miserable almost the whole time. He spent nearly six months looking for another teaching job all over the country, but when he got a callback to guest-teach at Agassi Prep here in Las Vegas, I knew he would get this job. He took another cut in pay, but to have him doing what he does best is worth it. It's very much a challenge for him to be at this school, but he has good administration that backs him and I love the fact that he dresses professionally again. I missed that more than I realized.
2. I got accepted into UNLV's nursing school program.
I have been going to school for four years now and finally was able to finish off all the prerequisites to apply for the BSN program at UNLV. Competition was fierce (they accepted less than half of the applicants), but I was so blessed to get in. It has been harder than I ever thought it would be, but I LOVE IT. This is what I was meant to be, and with God's help, I'll be able to graduate this August!
3. Noodle joined his dad and brother in the priesthood.
In our church, when boys turn twelve, they are interviewed to determine their worthiness to receive the Aaronic Priesthood. (For more information on that, please go here.) Boys are part of the Aaronic priesthood from ages 12-18, at which time, they can advance to the Melchizedek Priesthood (which Scott has), as long as they are worthy. The day he passed the sacrament for the first time was an emotional one for me. This young man, who started life 11 weeks early and weighed 3 lbs 10 oz; who faces the challenges that come with having autism; was doing something that I hoped one day he would be capable to do. With that day, I know the sky is the limit for him. He will achieve great things because he already has!
4. Brianna got her drivers license.
I'm not sure when time decided to go into very-fast-forward-mode, but it did (and without my permission). Brianna got her learners permit at the beginning of the year and by mid-July she was a legally licensed driver. It's been a real blessing to have her driving though. With my increased studies and time at the hospital, I've needed her to be able to drive her and her brothers to various activities AND run errands for me, too. She is a good driver (from what I can tell) and we'll soon be sending her and the Trailblazer that she drives off to college in August. (I can't believe I just wrote that.)
5. Zac grew about 19 feet.
Although you can't see it from this picture, our Zacharry has nearly reached his dad in height and HE IS ONLY 15. He currently stands at 6 feet. Holy crap doesn't even begin to describe how quickly he has grown. Many people mistake him to be our oldest child and that he is a senior in high school (both comments make him so happy), but he is not only growing in height, but in spirit as well. He has a strong testimony and I look forward to when he gets to turn in his papers to serve a mission. That time is only two and a half years away. (I can't believe I just wrote that, either.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment