Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Top Five Frugals of 2012

When my handsome hero (Scott) became unemployed this past spring, we were already experiencing a drop in income due to lack of tutoring hours for him.  It seems as though I'd been prepared for this....I'd pinterested TONS of DIY cleaners, food things, and other money saving tips.  So when the job loss came, we tightened up a bit more and I found a few more ways to live cheaply frugally.  Here are the best ones for your perusal.  These have been tried and true here in PackerwidowLand...so no guessing for you if they work, because they do!

1.  Toilet bowl cleaner
Cleaning products are one area that you don't have to spend money on to have something that effectively cleans and deodorizes.  This is one is awesome!  I use a bottle from Seventh Generation (because the top is easily removed) to make this.  There are several possible issues that I've learned to deal with:  (1) The top spouty part can eventually get clogged.  I tried soaking it for several hours in hot water.  I ran it through the dishwasher.  No luck.  So I ended up purchasing another bottle of toilet cleaner from Seventh Generation to be able to make my own again.  But making my own cleaner and needing a new bottle to mix it in every six months or so is still quite cost effective.  (2) The mixture can get really thick and stuck in the bottom of the bottle.  This is easily resolved by just adding a small amount of water and shaking the living daylights out of it.  You'll want to shake it before every use anyway just to make sure the ingredients are mixed together properly.


2.  Homemade pizza dough and sauce
Just about every Friday night is pizza night in the Peterson home.  I used to buy DiGiorno pizzas to pop in the oven because frankly, by the time Friday night rolls around, I'm pooped and too lazy to do much else.  But those pizzas are $6-7 EACH and it just doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on something that I can make in really very little time (and in advance).  I also can make it healthier because I don't add preservatives!  So here's the dough recipe I use.  I love it because I can make it early in the day, stick it in the fridge, and then pull it out (or have one of the kiddos pull it out) early in the afternoon and then whip up a quick pizza that night.  The sauce?  Easy.  A can of tomato sauce, and add onion, garlic, basil, oregano, and a dash of pepper.  Voila!  One can of tomato sauce will do two pizzas for us.


3.  Window cleaner
This is one thing that was a trial-and-error.  There are lots of different versions of glass cleaner out there, but this one really works.  It smells different than you'd expect glass cleaner to smell like, but I don't even notice it anymore.  I use microfiber cloths (have for YEARS) to clean glass and just about everything else.  Using those decreases our paper towel bill AND is good for the environment.  Bonus!


4.  Febreze
This is one of my favorite frugals!  I love having a fresh-smelling house...especially when I'm done cleaning.  But Febreze is stinking expensive!  This is so simple to mix up and it really does the job!  Plus you can make it whatever scent you love doing your laundry with.  I personally don't use liquid fabric softener anymore, so one bottle will last me FOREVER in faux-Febreze!


5.  Sugar body scrub
This is something I've been making and using for YEARS.  I've seen lots of different variations, but mine is as simple as it gets.  Get a jar or container that you can keep in the shower (I have a philosophy scrub jar from eons ago that I just refill) and fill it 2/3 with plain ol' white sugar.  Then grab your favorite body wash.  You can go on the cheap or expensive.  Whatever floats your boat.  I like to use something fruity smelling.  But it's entirely up to you.  Anyway, squirt a couple of tablespoons (don't actually measure it...just eyeball it) into the container.  Use a STURDY spoon and mix and mix and mix.  You'll want the consistency to be a thick paste.  Too runny?  Add more sugar.  Too thick?  Add more body wash.  I use this 3-4 times a week (after I've soaped and rinsed) and then follow with a good body butter to really treat your skin well.  I love the body butters here.

Well, that's it.  Being frugal has been kind of a fun adventure and I'm not ashamed to admit to being more frugal now than I've ever been.  I prefer to spend money on items that are worth it, and there's lots out there that just ISN'T.

No comments:

Post a Comment