1. I ran my first (and second) 5K race.
This was a goal that I set for myself last year and am very glad that I completed. Friends have urged me to now go on and run a 10K...but I still don't love running. And I don't have time in the morning to train for something that far. I'm not writing that type of race off, but it's just not for me. Not right now.
2. I watched my children grow up a little bit more.
Between Brianna's trip to Ecuador, Zacharry's entry into high school and Noodle moving up to middle school, I've seen my children mature and take on more grown up responsibilities. I've also seen glimpses of the great people Heavenly Father intends them to be. Those glimpses leave me awe-struck that I, in my flawed state, get to be their mother. A daunting task that only I can do with my husband, and God's help.
3. I celebrated my 20th wedding anniversary.
I have seen people I care about divorce over the years and seeing how tenuous a marriage relationship can be, causes me to be supremely grateful for my husband, and for his ability to overlook my faults. We were sealed in the Logan temple on a chilly December morning twenty years ago, but that sealing means nothing if we don't begin eternity here on earth, by building and strengthening our relationship now. I try everyday to not take Scott for granted and to remember how much I love him. My job is to make his life easier and I hope that I am succeeding.
4. I played in concert with Jenny Oaks Baker. And my parents were there!
I have been a member of the North Las Vegas Stake Orchestra for the past several years. With my schooling beginning to intensify, I made the decision that this year would be my last with the Orchestra. My parents live in Idaho and it is hard for them to come down to see our concerts. Jenny Oaks Baker, a world-class violinist, chose to perform with the orchestra in October. That was the push that my parents needed to come down to see me play. My mother is a HUGE fan of Sis. Baker and she even had the opportunity to meet her and get her picture taken with her. It was a great concert and gratifying to see the look on my mom's face as she met with this gracious and talented musician.
5. I discovered God knows me, He knows my family's needs, and He gives me what I need. Not necessarily what I want, but what I need.
This has been a tough lesson to learn....and one that I am still in the process of learning. All that has transpired in my life this year has cause me to lean on my Heavenly Father for support and strength. I've prayed for many things that have not come to pass, which is difficult to understand. However, He has not forgotten me and has always provided for me. Not in the ways that I prayed for, but for the ways He knew would be best for me. I am eager to see the path that He will take our family down this new year, and to see if I'm the same in a year that I am right now. I'm pretty sure that I will be a different person, and hopefully one who is even more faithful to Him.


No comments:
Post a Comment